|Anticoagulation Management Service|
|Hours of Operation|
|Benefits of enrolling|
|Physician Referral Documents|
|Insurance and billing|
|What to bring to your appointment|
The Hallmark Health System (HHS) Anticoagulation Management Service (AMS) offers treatment to patients who are on blood thinning medications like warfarin, (Coumadin®), enoxaparin (Lovenox®), fondaparinux (Arixtra®), dabigatran (Pradaxa®), and rivaroxaban (Xarelto®), which are used to prevent blood clots from forming or becoming larger. The AMS is overseen by a medical director and anticoagulation pharmacists who closely monitor patients’ anticoagulation therapy. Close monitoring and appropriate follow-up allows for prompt intervention if dosage adjustments are needed, leading to better patient outcomes. Patients also receive counseling and education through the service.
Studies have shown that patients enrolled in a centralized anticoagulation management service have better INR control, decreased adverse events and better clinical outcomes.Typical patients include those with cardiac conditions, clotting disorders, post-orthopedic surgery and/or patients that recently suffered a stroke.
“Anticoagulation management using a centralized service really has become the standard of care in the field of anticoagulation by providing patients easy accessibility to a specialized clinician and a focused and individualized approach to anticoagulation management” says Antonia DeQuevedo, PharmD, CACP, AMS coordinator.
For more information about the service or the referral process, please contact us at (781) 224-5822.
Hallmark Health System Hematology and Oncology Center
41 Montvale Ave.
Stoneham, MA 02180
(p): (781) 224-5822
(f): (781) 224-5844
8 a.m. -4:30 p.m
AMS services include:
- Anticoagulation care clinicians easily accessible to answer questions
- Comprehensive evaluation at each visit to monitor for possible interactions or side effects
- Extensive educational resources available to maximize the safe and effective use of anticoagulant medications
- Warfarin educational booklet and Patient Progress Reports provided at no additional cost
- Timely prescription and laboratory renewals for patient convenience
- Perioperative management of anticoagulant medications for elective procedures and surgeries
- Arrangements for outpatient PT/INR blood testing and home draw services for homebound patients
- Identification and management of adverse effects associated with anticoagulant therapy
Any patient with a Hallmark Health System affiliated physician is eligible for enrollment into the Anticoagulation Management Service (AMS). If you are interested in becoming a patient of the AMS, please contact your primary care physician to request a referral into the service. Upon receipt of a physician referral, the AMS staff will contact you to schedule an initial clinic appointment.
Medical Director: Dr. Rebecca Eisenberg
Nurse Practitioner: Carolyn Chandler
AMS Coordinator: Antonia DeQuevedo
Anticoagulation pharmacists: Antonia DeQuevedo, Ellen Rawnsley
- The American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) endorses the use of a specialized anticoagulation management service to help improve the safety and quality of anticoagulation care
- Clinical studies have repeatedly demonstrated that patients followed by a centralized anticoagulation management service have better INR control, decreased adverse events, and better clinical outcomes
- State-of-the art anticoagulation management software to screen for drug interactions that may require warfarin dosage adjustment
- Option for warfarin management by phone or office visit
- Arrangements provided for INR testing and prescription refills while you travel
Clinic visits and PT/INR testing are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance plans. No charges will apply for phone management of your anticoagulant medications Please check with your individual insurance provider to see how your plan’s deductibles and/or co‐pays may apply.
It is important for us to review all the medications that you are taking. Please bring any medications that you are taking, including supplements and over-the-counter products, to your first appointment.