|How We Can Help|
|Preparing for Test|
|Information and Locations|
How To Prepare for a Bone Density Test
Bone density tests are safe, painless and noninvasive. The entire scan will take about 30 minutes, but a few tips will help the process go even more smoothly. Our caring radiological technicians will walk patients through each step of the exam to make sure they are comfortable. During the exam, patients will lie flat on their backs on a table and will be asked to hold still. The technologist will remain with the patient the entire time. Some tips to help you prepare are:
- Wear sweat pants (or elastic waist pants).
- Do not wear any clothing with metal zippers, buttons, or snaps.
- Please wear sneakers or a closed shoe; no sandals or clogs.
- It is okay to eat anytime before or after the exam.
- Be prepared to lie flat on back without moving during the exam (approximately 15 minutes).
We will provide the test results to a patient's primary care or referring physician within one week of the test.