|How We Can Help|
|Understanding and Treating Acid Reflux|
After a personal consultation, a gastroenterologist will perform a physical examination and conduct some diagnostic tests to evaluate a patient's digestive health. Our facilities use safe, effective, and non-invasive procedures such as:
- Endoscopy: Physicians gain a clear, detailed view of a patient digestive tract by using a long, thin, flexible tube with a tiny video camera on the end. This procedure, more precise than an X-ray and usually painless, allows other instruments to be passed through to immediately remove growths or polyps. Patients receiving this treatment may avoid surgery or receive a more precise diagnosis for a specific surgery that may need to be performed in the future. Specific types of endoscopic procedures include:
- Colonoscopy: In addition to serving as a diagnostic tool for the colon, a colonoscopy is an important detection method for colon cancer and a routine treatment for polyps.
- Gastroscopy: Examines the esophagus and stomach and is important for detecting and preventing permanent damage due to reflux diseases.
- Sigmoidoscopy: Similar to a colonoscopy, the GI uses a sigmoidoscope to screen the lower part of the large bowel.
- Fecal occult blood text (FOBT): Our advanced labs test stool for the presence of blood invisible to the eye. This is a recommended annual test for screening cancer in beginning in people 50 years or older.
- Barium enema: Sometimes used as a substitute for colonoscopy, this X-ray examination of the entire colon and rectum detects lumps, polyps, or abnormalities.
Hallmark Health's gastroenterology specialists have an excellent track record of accurate detection, complete diagnosis, and thorough treatment of conditions and diseases for our patients. People with these complicated conditions benefit from being treated by a specialist who has handled a large number of similar cases. While we deliver expert care, we also pride ourselves on focusing on the individual needs and concerns of each and every patient.
As a full-service medical facility, we also offer the benefit of on-site nutrition services. Eating a nutritious diet is needed to maintain a healthy digestive system and may prevent and treat certain digestive diseases.