Many people today are not seeking healthcare when they need it for fear of payment, lack of insurance coverage or simply not knowing where to go for help. Residents of Massachusetts are eligible for health insurance and the financial counselors at Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford and Melrose-Wakefield Hospital are available to help families, individuals or couples obtain the care they need.
How can a financial counselor help?
The financial counselors at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and Melrose-Wakefield Hospital will
- • Help determine your eligibility for state-funded programs
- • Assist in the completion of applications for Financial Assistance.
- • Serve as your personal advocate between you and the State.
- • Refer you to additional state agencies who can provide assistance
- • Assist in scheduling medical appointments with physicians or for testing and procedures
- • Make the application renewal or re-enrollment process easier.
Who is eligible for assistance?
Any patient who is
- • pregnant
- • over 65
- • unemployed
- • uninsured or with limited insurance
- • disabled
- • HIV positive
- • low or median income
- • self employed
Or anyone who lives in Massachusetts and meets the state guidelines.
How to apply for financial assistance?
To apply for Financial Assistance, simply make an appointment with a financial counselor. Please bring the following proof of eligibility:
- • Wage income-two recent pay stubs or a letter from employer stating your gross income earned.
- • Self-employed-bring the most recent Federal 1040 Tax Return with relevant attachments.
- • Recipient of child support or alimony-bring proof of income
- • Unemployed-bring two recent unemployment pay stubs
- • Immigration status-bring one of the following: alien card, employment authorization, foreign passport, Visa, letter from INS or affidavit of an attorney.
Accessing financial counseling services is very easy. Financial counselors are available to meet in several locations in Medford and Melrose. Interpreter services are available upon request.
Call our Central Scheduling Department, 781-338-7111 and request an appointment.
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
585 Lebanon Street
Melrose, MA 02176
Financial Counselor, Joan Batten, 781-979-3437 or Ann Pesaturo, 781-979-3593
Lawrence Memorial Hospital
170 Governors Avenue
Medford, MA 02155
Financial Counselor, Aminda Monteagudo, 781-306-6203
Request a Price Estimate
Are you having a procedure at one of our hospitals and wondering what it may cost? Are you concerned about what your responsibility for payment may be?
As a courtesy to our patients, Hallmark Health System can provide price estimates for hospital services.* We want to make sure you are prepared in every way and on the road to recovery as soon as possible.
For a price estimate, call 781-338-7447.
*Please note that estimates provided are based on the information known at the time of the request. They apply to hospital services and do not include the physician charge.
Financial Assistance Policies
Hallmark Health is a frontline caregiver providing medically necessary care for all people who present to its facility and locations regardless of ability to pay. Hallmark Health offers this care for all patients that come to our facilities 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. As a result, Hallmark Health is committed to providing all of our patients with high-quality care and services. As part of this commitment, Hallmark Health works with individuals with limited incomes and resources to find available options to cover the cost of their care.
The following documents will help to explain and assist you in navigating the Financial Assistance process. The complete Hallmark Health Financial Assistance Policy, and a “plain language” summary version are provided at the links below, and are available in English, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Italian, and Arabic.
If you require assistance in a language not listed here, Hallmark Health Interpreter Services support is available, and will be provided at no cost to assist you.
If you have any questions, please contact one of our Financial Counselors.
- • 781-979-3437
- • 781-979-3593
Lawrence Memorial Hospital
- • 781-306-6203