Party Bean Dip with Baked Tortilla Chips
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup dip and 4 tortilla wedges)
* 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
* Cooking spray
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 (16-ounce) can organic refried beans (such as Amy's or Eden Organic)
* 1 cup organic bottled salsa (such as Muir Glen)
* 2/3 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
* 1/4 cup chopped green onions
* 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
* 3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
* 3/4 cup (6 ounces) light sour cream
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges, and arrange wedges in single layers on 2 baking sheets. Lightly spray wedges with cooking spray; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool.
3. Combine juice, cumin, and beans in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined. Spread mixture evenly into an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread salsa evenly over beans. Combine corn, onions, and olives; spoon corn mixture evenly over salsa. Sprinkle cheese over corn mixture. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 162; Fat 5.6g; Sat Fat 2.4g; Protein 6.8g; Carbohydrate 23.2g
Yield: 4 Servings
* 1/4 cup almond meal
* 1/4 cup panko
* 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
* 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* Cooking spray
* 4 lemon wedges
1. Preheat oven to 500°.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish; set aside. Brush tops and sides of fish with juice: sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Working with 1 fillet at a time, dredge top and sides in almond mixture; place skin side down on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle any remaining crumb mixture evenly over fish; press gently to adhere.
4. Bake at 500° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 332; Fat 16.7; Sat Fat 3.3; Protein 38g; Carbohydrate 5.4; Fiber 1.5g
Chocolate-Cherry Heart Smart Cookies
Yield: 30 cookies, serving size: 1 cookie
* 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
* 1.5 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/3 cup)
* 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1 cup dried cherries
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
* Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; add brown sugar, stirring until smooth. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add cherries, vanilla, and egg; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes or until almost firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 94; Fat 3.2g; Sat Fat 1.6g; Protein 1.5g; Carbohydrate 15.7g; Fiber: 1.3g
Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped poblano chile
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon pureed canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 (8-ounce) cans unsalted tomato sauce
- 3 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, poblano, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until onion and poblano are tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Add stock, chipotles, and tomato sauce, and bring to a gentle simmer; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Combine chicken and black beans in a medium bowl; add half of sauce mixture. Combine cheeses in a bowl; add 1/2 cup cheese mixture to chicken mixture. Toss to combine.
4. Place 8 tortillas on a microwave-safe plate; cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds or until warm. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, place tortilla on a flat work surface; spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture onto 1 end of tortilla. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, heating up second batch of tortillas when first batch is used up. Arrange enchiladas, seam side down, in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve enchiladas with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 406; Fat 13.1 g; Saturated fat 5.4 g; Monounsaturated fat 2.9 g; Polyunsaturated fat 1.8 g; Protein 32 g; Carbohydrate 42 g; Fiber 8 g; Cholesterol 70 mg; Sodium 531 mg
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-black-bean-enchiladas accessed on 1/17/17
Banana Cinnamon Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- Cooking spray
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, flaxseed, and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine milk, butter, and eggs, stirring with a whisk; add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until blended. Fold in mashed banana.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Coat iron with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 215; Fat 7.4 g; Saturated fat 3.3 g; Monounsaturated fat 1.9 g; Polyunsaturated fat 1.4 g; Protein 7.3 g; Carbohydrate 31.1 g; Fiber 3.4 g; Cholesterol 65 mg; Iron 1.9 mg; Sodium 205 mg; Calcium 133 mg
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/banana-cinnamon-waffles accessed on 1/17/17
Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (3/4-ounce)
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and a few turns of pepper. Dip each round into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick, and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove with spatula. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Total calories: 105; Total fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 18mg; Protein: 5g; Carbohydrate: 8.5g; Sodium: 222mg
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/zucchini-parmesan-crisps-recipe.html accessed 1/17/17
Cinnamon Apple Panini
- • 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- • 1 teaspoon honey
- • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 4 (1-ounce) slices 100% whole-wheat cinnamon-raisin bread
- • 12 thin slices Granny Smith apple
- • Cooking spray
- • 1/2 teaspoon water
- • 2 individually wrapped caramels
1. Combine the first 3 ingredients, stirring until smooth. Spread about 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture over 1 side of each bread slice. Top each of 2 bread slices with 6 apple slices and remaining 2 bread slices, cream cheese side down. Lightly coat sandwiches with cooking spray.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium heat; add sandwiches to pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side. Cut each into 4 triangles.
3. Combine water and unwrapped caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until caramels melt, stirring after 15 seconds. Drizzle sandwiches with caramel.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 150; Total fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 11mg; Sodium: 170mg; Protein: 4.5g; Carbohydrate: 23g; Fiber: 3g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ accessed 12/28/16
Roasted Shrimp with White Beans and Feta
- • 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- • 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- • 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- • 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- • 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- • 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine 2 teaspoons oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a dish. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in beans, stock, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook 3 minutes.
4. Arrange shrimp on a baking sheet; roast at 450° for 4 minutes.
5. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, rind, vinegar, mustard, and black pepper in a bowl. Pour half of oil mixture over beans; toss. Stir in mint. Divide evenly among 4 plates; sprinkle with feta. Arrange shrimp alongside. Top with remaining oil mixture.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 273; Total Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 149mg; Sodium: 535mg; Protein: 21g; Carbohydrate: 16g;Fiber: 4g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-shrimp-white-beans-feta accessed on 12/28/16
Lemon Icebox Bars
Serves 32 (Serving size: 1 cookie)
- • 14 whole-grain graham cracker squares (7 full sheets)
- • 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • Cooking spray
- • 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- • 1/4 cup pasteurized egg product (such as egg beaters)
- • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- • 2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- • 3 tablespoons boiling water
* Make Crust: Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed. Add butter, brown sugar and salt and pulse to incorporate, until crumbs resemble wet sand. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray and pack crumbs firmly into the bottom of it. Refrigerate until ready to use.
* Make the filling: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, condensed milk and pasteurized egg product and beat on high with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add lemon zest and juice and beat until fully incorporated, another 30 seconds. In a small bowl, combine the gelatin and boiling water and whisk until gelatin is entirely dissolved; let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the gelatin into the cream cheese-lemon mixture until well incorporated. Pour the filling over the crust. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, until filling is firm. Slice into 2-inch squares using a chilled knife coated with cooking spray.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Total calories: 155; Total fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 18mg; Protein: 5g; Carbohydrate: 22g; Sodium: 165mg; Carbohydrates: 11g
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/lemon-icebox-bars-recipe.html accessed 12/28/16
Glazed Cocktail Meatballs
Serves 13 (3 meatballs per serving)
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
* 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
* 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 large egg
* 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. olive oil
* Cooking spray
* 5 tablespoons organic grape jelly
* 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
* 1 teaspoon unsalted tomato paste
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. Combine water and bulgur in a small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes; drain. Combine bulgur, beef, and next 8 ingredients (through olive oil) in a large bowl; gently mix with hands until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill 45 minutes. Shape into 39 (1-inch) meatballs.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange meatballs in an even layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring grape jelly and the remaining ingredients to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Place meatballs in a large bowl. Add the jelly mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Total calories: 114 Total fat: 5g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 188mg Protein: 8g Carbohydrate: 11g
Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/glazed-cocktail-meatballs accessed 12/08/16
Perfect Beef Tenderloin
Serves 16 (Serving size: 3.5 ounces)
* 1 (4-lb.) trimmed beef tenderloin, tied with kitchen twine
* 4 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Place beef on a rack set in an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, pressing gently to adhere. Refrigerate, uncovered, 8 to 48 hours.
2. Remove beef from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 250°F. Roast beef (keep on rack in pan) on center rack until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 125°F (for rare), 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, turning once.
4. Remove beef from oven. Adjust oven temperature to broil. Combine butter and oil in a small saucepan, and heat over medium until butter melts. 5. Brush beef with butter mixture. Broil until browned, turning once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a carving board spread with Board Dressing, if desired, and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with Classic Horseradish Cream Sauce, if desired.
Total calories: 246 Total Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 109mg Sodium: 546mg Protein: 35g Carbohydrate: 0g
Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/perfect-beef-tenderloin 12/08/16
Iced Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
Serves 32 (Serving size: 1 cookie)
* 9 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 2 cups)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 10 tablespoon butter, softened
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 ounce 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar
* 2 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
* 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
* Naturally colored sparkling sugar (optional)
1. To prepare cookies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg; beat until well blended. Add vanilla; beat until blended. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat just until combined.
2. Flatten dough into a 6-inch disk; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 32 cookies, using a 2- or 3-inch cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool.
Nutrition Facts per serving
Total calories: 84 Total fat: 4g Cholesterol: 16mg Protein: 1g Sodium: 46mg Carbohydrates: 11g
Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/iced-whole-wheat-sugar-cookies accessed 12/08/16
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Cinnamon
- • 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling potatoes after cooked
- • /4 cup honey
- • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- • Lay the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a roasting tray. Drizzle the oil, honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper over the potatoes. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes in oven or until tender.
- • Take sweet potatoes out of the oven and transfer them to a serving platter. Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 304; Total fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 216mg; Protein: 2g; Carbohydrate: 41g
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-honey-butter-recipe.html accessed 10/24/16
Skillet Turkey With Roasted Vegetables
- • 1 skin-on boneless turkey breast (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds)
- • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- • 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- • 2 bunches spring onions or small regular onions trimmed and halved
- • 4 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch pieces
- • 2 bunches small carrots, trimmed
- • 1 10 -to-12-ounce package mixed mushrooms, stemmed
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Rub the turkey skin with 1 tablespoon olive oil; rub over and under the skin with the marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sear the turkey, skin-side down, without moving, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the turkey, then add the onions, cut-side down, and cook until slightly browned, 4 to 5 more minutes. Scatter the celery and carrots over the onions, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the turkey registers 160 degrees F and the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the turkey rest 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Total calories: 371; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 119mg; Sodium: 671mg; Protein: 44g; Carbohydrate: 14g
- • 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped small
- • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- • 1/2 cup brown sugar
- • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- • 1/3 cup brown sugar
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
- • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
For the Filling:
- • Mix all the ingredients together. Place into 7 to 8-ounce ramekins.
- • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- • Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Blend the butter into the mixture until it forms pea size lumps. Stir in pecans and sprinkle over filling.
- • Bake crisps for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Total calories: 305; Total fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 23mg; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 80mg; Carbohydrates: 46g
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/apple-crisp-recipe.html accessed 10/24/16
Pumpkin Apple Soup
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 2 cups chopped onion
- • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- • 4 cups (1/2-in.) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin or butternut squash (about 1 lb. 2 oz.)
- • 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- • 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock (such as Swanson)
- • 2 tablespoons raw hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- • 2 teaspoons sugar
- • 1/4 cup apple cider
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, apples, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 minutes or until pumpkin and apples are tender.
2. While soup cooks, combine pepitas, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 7 minutes or until sugar melts and pepitas are toasted, stirring often. Transfer to a plate; cool completely, breaking up any clumps.
3. Place half of pumpkin mixture in a blender, remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape). Secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters); blend until smooth. Place soup in a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining pumpkin mixture. Pour in apple cider, and reheat in pan if needed. Divide soup evenly among 8 bowls; sprinkle evenly with pepitas.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 147 Total fat: 5.4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 272mg Protein: 4g Fiber: 2g Carbohydrate: 23g
Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/pumpkin-apple-soup accessed 9/23/16
Sweet Potato Noodles with Shrimp and Thai-Style Almond Sauce
- • 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 10 oz. each), peeled
- • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- • 2 tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter
- • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- • 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic, divided
- • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
- • 1 teaspoon honey
- • 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- • 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, shaved
- • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted almonds
1. Cut sweet potatoes into long noodles using a julienne peeler or spiralizer.
2. Combine soy sauce, nut butter, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, honey, Sriracha, and sesame oil in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
3. Heat a large wok or skillet over high. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add shrimp; stir-fry 4 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add sweet potato noodles; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice. Stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in shrimp; toss to coat. Sprinkle with green onions and almonds.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 2381 Total Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 594mg Protein: 23g Carbohydrate: 41g
Source: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/sweet-potato-noodles-shrimp-thai-style-almond-sauce accessed 9/23/16
Frosted Brown Butter Blondies
- • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- • 3/4 cup brown sugar
- • 1/4 cup canola oil
- • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- • 2 large eggs
- • 3 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- • Cooking spray
- • 1 cup powdered sugar
- • 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- • 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- • 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown. Place butter in a bowl; cool 15 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs.
3. Combine flours, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Pour batter into an 8-inch cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Transfer to serving plate.
4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, powdered sugar, milk, and cream cheese in a bowl. Place 1/4 cup cream cheese mixture in a ziplock plastic bag.
5. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or just until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir melted chocolate into remaining cream cheese mixture. Pour chocolate mixture over blondies, spreading to an even layer. Snip a hole in 1 bottom corner of ziplock bag with cream cheese mixture. Pipe 3 concentric circles over blondies. Drag a wooden pick out from the center of the pan to the edge, repeating in a circle to create a web pattern. Cool.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Total calories: 196 Total fat: 10g Cholesterol: 37mg Protein: 2g Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 25g
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 ounces French bread baguette, interior crumb only, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 pounds yellow heirloom tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 red cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Combine 1/2 cup water and bread in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place bell pepper, cucumber, onion, 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, garlic, and yellow tomato in a blender; process until smooth. Add bread mixture and salt to blender; process 1 minute. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Place 1 cup soup in each of 6 bowls. Top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and red tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 153; Total fat: 9g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 217mg; Protein: 4g; Carbohydrate: 17g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/golden-gazpacho-2 accessed 7/20/16
Beef and Bell Pepper Kebabs
Serves 4 (2 kebabs per serving)
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) sirloin steaks, cut against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine first 7 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add beef; let stand 15 minutes. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Thread beef and peppers onto 8 (8-inch) skewers.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add kebabs to pan; grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 173; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated fat: 1.8g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 316mg; Protein: 24g; Carbohydrate: 7g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-bell-pepper-kebabs accessed 7/20/16
Blueberry Pie Sundaes
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 3 cups vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- 3 English shortbread cookies (such as Walkers), coarsely crumbled
- Combine 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons water and 1 1/2 cups blueberries in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes or until blueberries begin to break down. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup blueberries, sugar, juice, cinnamon, and salt. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Scoop 1/2 cup frozen yogurt into each of 6 bowls or dessert glasses. Spoon about 1/3 cup blueberry mixture over each serving; sprinkle evenly with crumbled cookies. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Total calories: 278; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 66mg; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 98mg; Carbohydrates: 48g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-pie-sundaes accessed 7/20/16
Mango, Avocado & Black Bean Salad (serves 6)
15 oz. canned, no-salt-added black beans (1 can), drained & rinsed
15.25 oz. canned, no-salt-added whole corn kernels (1 can), drained & rinsed
1 medium avocado (about 1 cup) halved & cut into ? inch cubes
2 cups mango (about 2 cups) cut into ? inch cubes
2 green onions, cut into ? inch pieces (or ? small red or white onion, sliced)
1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into ? inch pieces
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely diced (or less to taste)
1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried & chopped
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1) Divide chopped lettuce into 6 bowls
2) Combine black beans, corn, mango, avocado, onions red pepper and jalepeno (don’t mix yet)
3) Combine lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, chili powder, pepper, salt in a jar with a lid. Shake together until well mixed and pour over the black bean mixture.
4) Toss gently to coat and serve over lettuce bowls.
Calories: 218, total fat: 6.9 g, saturated fats: 1 g, polyunsaturated fats: 1 g, monounsaturated fats 4.3 g, sodium 128 mg, carbohydrates 36 g, fiber 9 g, protein 14 g
Recipe adapted from American heart Association, http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Recipes/Heart-Healthy-Recipes_UCM_465114_RecipeLanding.jsp, accessed 6/13/2016
Grilled Flank Steak (serves 8)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
2 lb. flank steak
1) In a large dish combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic oregano, honey salt and crushed red pepper. Remove half of the marinade and reserve to use as vinaigrette. Add flank steak to the remaining marinade in dish. Turn once, cover and chill for 2-24 hours (turning occasionally).
2) Heat grill or grill pan over medium heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Grill for 15-18 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once. Remove; cover and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Drizzle the reserved vinaigrette over the steak before serving.
Calories: 306, total fat: 22 g, saturated fats: 5 g, polyunsaturated fats: 2 g, monounsaturated fats 13 g, cholesterol 40 mg, sodium 253 mg, carbohydrates 2 g, fiber 0 g, protein 24 g
Recipe adapted from Recipe.com, http://www.recipe.com/grilled-flank-steak-2/, accessed 6/13/16
Mixed Berry Trifle (serves 14)
10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 pints strawberries, sliced
2 pints blueberries
6 tbsp fat free sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups cold water
1 (4 oz) package white chocolate or cheesecake instant pudding mix
12 oz frozen whipped topping (thawed)
1) Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl. Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping.
2) Arrange half the cake in the bottom of the trifle dish. Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
3) Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries, top with a layer of strawberries.
4) Layer the remaining cake pieces on top of the strawberries, then add more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture.
5) Finish with the remaining strawberry slices and blueberries, arranging in a decorative pattern. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Calories: 170, total fat: 0.5 g, sodium 103 mg, carbohydrates 38 g, fiber 3 g, protein 2.5 g
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste; http://www.skinnytaste.com/red-white-and-blueberry-trifle/ accessed 6/13/2016
Creamy Broccoli Salad
- 2 strips low-sodium bacon
- ½ cup ice cubes
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ½ cups broccoli florets (about 1 pound), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup gold raisins
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds
- Cook the bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain, and reserve 1 teaspoon drippings for the dressing. Finely chop the bacon strips and reserve.
- Combine 1 cup water, the ice cubes and onions in a small bowl. Let the onions soak for 10 minutes while preparing the rest of the salad, and then drain and pat dry.
- Whisk the buttermilk, sour cream, lemon zest and juice, reserved bacon drippings, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the broccoli, onions and golden raisins to the dressing. Toss well, cover and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Before serving, toss well and season with additional salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the chopped bacon and sunflower seeds.
Total calories: 107
Total fat: 4.5g
Saturated fat: 2g
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/creamy-broccoli-salad-recipe.html accessed 5/16/16
Summer Squash Pizza
Serves 8 (8 slices)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-inch) packaged pizza crust
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into (1/8-inch-thick) slices
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Prepare grill.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, zucchini slices, and yellow squash slices in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Place squash mixture on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Reduce grill temperature to medium.
- Lightly coat pizza crust with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Arrange zucchini and squash over crust. Arrange tomatoes over squash; sprinkle with pecorino Romano cheese. Grill 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from grill; sprinkle with basil and oregano.
Nutrition Facts per slice
Total calories: 165
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 1.5g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/summer-squash-pizzaaccessed 5/16/16
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ c plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar (depending on the ripeness of the berries)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons 0% or 2% fat Greek Yogurt per serving, for garnish
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Shortcakes: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup buttermilk, the egg, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and lightly mix with your hands just until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. With lightly floured hands, gently pat the dough into a 7-inch round about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 8 equal sized wedges. Space the shortcakes evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Filling: Combine the strawberries, sugar, zest, and juice in a large bowl. Let stand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Split the shortcakes. Place the bottom halves of the shortcakes on plates and top evenly with the strawberry mixture and the yogurt. Cover with tops of the shortcakes. Dust with confectioners\' sugar, if using.
Nutrition Facts per serving (1 shortcake with 1/2 cup filling and 1 tablespoon topping)
Total calories: 215
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 3g
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/strawberry-shortcakes-recipe.html accessed 5/16/16
Blueberry Smoothie Serves 1
- • 1 cup blueberries
- • ½ cup Greek yogurt
- • ¼ cup Orange Juice
- • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- • 3 ice cubes
Blend blueberries, yogurt, orange juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together in a blender on low speed for 30 seconds; increase speed to high and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add ice and blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute more.
Total calories: 256
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 2g
Monounsaturated fat: 1g
Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/242198/healthy-blueberry-breakfast-smoothie/ accessed 2/19/16
Almond-Crusted Salmon Serves 4
- • ¼ cup almond meal
- • ¼ cup panko
- • ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick
- • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • Cooking spray
- • 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in shallow dish; set aside.
- Brush tops and sides of fish with juice: sprinkle with salt and pepper. Working with 1 fillet at a time, dredge top and sides in almond mixture; place skin side down on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle any remaining crumb mixture evenly over fish; press gently to adhere.
- Bake at 500° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with lemon wedges.
Total calories: 332
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated fat: 3g
Monounsaturated fat: 8g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/almond-crusted-salmon accessed 2/19/16
Double Chocolate Cupcakes Serves 12
- • 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/8 teaspoon salt
- • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- • 1/4 cup butter, softened
- • 1/2 cup egg substitute
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 1/2 cup 1% low-fat buttermilk
- • 1 1/4 ounces dark (70 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped
- • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute and vanilla, beating well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to granulated sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with muffin cup liners. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Total calories: 150
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 3g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/double-chocolate-cupcakes-0 accessed 2/19/16
Spinach Bean Soup Serves 6
• non-stick cooking spray
• 1 small onion
• 2 clove fresh garlic
• 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
• 14.5 oz. canned, diced, no-salt-added tomatoes
• 14.5 oz. canned, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 16 oz. canned, low-sodium navy, chickpeas or pinto beans
• 1/4 tsp. pepper
• 1 tsp. cumin
• 4 cup fresh, chopped spinach, packed
Spray a large pot with cooking spray, heat over medium-high heat. Sautee onion and garlic 5 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, pepper and cumin and bring to a boil. Stir in the spinach and simmer until wilted. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
Total calories: 95
Total fat: 0
Saturated fat: 0
Broiled Salmon with Olive Pesto Serves 4
- • Cooking spray
- • 1 cup loosely-packed, fresh basil
- • 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- • 2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
- • 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- • 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- • 1 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
- • 2 tsp. olive oil
- • 2 medium garlic cloves
- • 4 salmon fillets (about 4 ounces each)
Preheat the broiler. Lightly spray the broiler pan with cooking spray. In a food processor or blender, process the remaining ingredients except the fish for 15 to 20 seconds, or until slightly chunky. Place the fish on the broiler pan. Using a pastry brush or spoon, spread the basil mixture over both sides of the fish. Broil the fish about 4 inches from the heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn over the fish. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the desired doneness.
Total calories: 205
Total Fat: 10.5g
Saturated fat: 1.5g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
Apple Bread Pudding Serves 4
- • Cooking spray
- • 1 whole egg
- • 1 egg whie
- • 1 cup skim milk
- • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar blend
- • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 1 tsp. cinnamon
- • 1/2 tsp. cloves or allspice
- • 6 slices light, whole-grain, or multigrain bread
- • 3 medium apples, cored
- • 1/2 cup of any one of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, fresh or dried blueberries, chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, sugar blend, vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves. Add bread and apple cubes. Add fruit or nuts if desired. Mix well. Pour mixture in to prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
Total calories: 131
Total fat: 1.2g
Saturated fat: 0.3g
Arugula, Fennel, and Parmesan Salad Serves 8
Ingredients • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice • 2 teaspoons sugar • 1 teaspoon olive oil • 1/2 teaspoon salt • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper • 4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 2 bulbs) • 1 cup thinly sliced red onion • 8 cups trimmed arugula • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
Directions 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine fennel and onion in a large bowl; drizzle with dressing, tossing gently to coat. 2. Arrange 1 cup arugula on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with about 3/4 cup fennel mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Nutrition Facts Total calories: 62 Total fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 289mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Carbohydrate: 7g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arugula-fennel-parmesan-salad accessed 11/24/15
Fire and Spice Ham Serves 18
Ingredients • 1 (5 1/2- to 6-pound) 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully cooked ham half • Cooking spray • 1/2 cup red pepper jelly • 1/2 cup pineapple preserves • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 425°. 2. Trim fat and rind from ham half. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine jelly and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Brush about one-third of jelly mixture over ham. 3. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (do not remove ham from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes, basting ham with jelly mixture every 15 minutes. Transfer ham to a serving platter; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts (3 ounces) Total calories: 188 Total Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 2g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 865mg Protein: 18g Carbohydrate: 17g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fire-spice-ham accessed 11/24/15
Maple-Walnut Spice Cookies Yields 30 cookies
Ingredients • Cookies o 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces) o 1/2 teaspoon baking soda o 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger o 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon o 1/4 teaspoon salt o 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg o 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves o 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar o 1/4 cup butter, softened o 2 tablespoons maple syrup o 1 large egg • Frosting o 1 cup powdered sugar o 2 tablespoons maple syrup o 1 tablespoon fat-free milk o 2 teaspoons butter, softened
• Remaining Ingredient o 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350°. 2. To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. 3. Place brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons syrup and egg; beat until well blended. Beating at low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined. 4. Spoon batter evenly into 30 mounds (about 1 tablespoon) 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks. 5. To prepare frosting, combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons syrup, milk, and 2 teaspoons butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookies. Working quickly, sprinkle cookies with nuts.
Nutrition Facts (1 Cookie) Total calories: 98 Total fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 58mg Carbohydrates: 16g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-walnut-spice-cookies accessed 11/24/15
Pumpkin Soup Serves 4
Ingredients • 3/4 cup water, divided • 1 small onion, chopped • 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree • 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg • 1 cup fat-free milk • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper • 1 green onion top, chopped
Directions 1. In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Don\'t let onion dry out. 2. Add remaining water, pumpkin, broth, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the milk and cook until hot. Don\'t boil. 3. Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with black pepper and green onion tops. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts: (1 cup) Total calories: 77 Total fat: 1g Saturated fat: 0g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 57mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 3g Carbohydrate: 14g
Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/pumpkin-soup/rcp-20049697 accessed 10/26/15
Glazed Turkey Breast with Fruit Stuffing Serves 12
Ingredients • 1-5 pound whole, bone-in turkey breast (thawed) • Rub: o 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped o 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped o 2 tablespoons olive oil • Stuffing: o 1 small onion, thinly sliced o 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced o 1 pear, peeled and thinly sliced o 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins) • Glaze: o 2 cups apple juice (divided) o 1 tablespoon brown sugar o 1 tablespoon brown mustard o 1 tablespoon olive oil Directions: 1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the turkey breast, skin side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. 2. In a small bowl, combine the herbs and the olive oil to make a paste. Loosen the skin from the meat gently with your fingers — making two deep pockets between the skin and meat. Smear half of the paste directly on the meat. Spread the remaining paste evenly over the top of the skin. 3. In another small bowl, mix together the sliced onions and fruit. Stuff each pocket with the mixture. 4. Pour 1 cup of apple juice into the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast the turkey breast for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 F when inserted into the thickest and meatiest areas of the breast. If the skin is over-browning, cover the breast loosely with aluminum foil. 5. In the meantime, combine the remaining cup of apple juice, brown sugar, mustard and olive oil in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until it becomes thickened and reduced in volume to about 3/4 cup. Use this to baste the turkey during the last 30 minutes of cooking. 6. When the turkey is done, cover with foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Carve, serve and spoon any remaining glaze over the turkey. Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 346 Total Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 4g Cholesterol: 100mg Sodium: 112mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 40g Carbohydrate: 15g Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/glazed-turkey-breast-with-fruit-stuffing/rcp-20049946 accessed 10/26/15
Tasty Apple Pie Serves 8
Ingredients • Pie Crust • 1 cup dry rolled oats • 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour • 1/4 cup ground almonds • 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed • 3 tablespoons canola oil • 1 tablespoon water • Filling • 6 cups sliced and peeled tart apples (about 4 large apples) • 1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate • 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions 1. To prepare pie crust, mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix oil and water together with whisk. Add oil and water mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until dough holds together. Add a bit more water if needed. Press dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside until filling is prepared. 2. To prepare filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir and then spoon into prepared pie crust. 3. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 40 minutes, or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts Total calories: 204 Total fat: 8g Saturated fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 4g Carbohydrates: 29g
Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/tasty-apple-pie/rcp-20049940 accessed 10/26/15
Butter Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes Yield: 4 servings, ½ cup serving
Ingredients • 4 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds) • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter • 2 tablespoons fat-free milk • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Directions 1. Pierce each potato with a fork 3 to 4 times on each side. Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes, turning after 4 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp. 2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Stir butter, milk, and salt into potato pulp. Top with pecans.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 262 Total fat: 9g Saturated fat: 3g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 304mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 4g Carbohydrate: 42g
Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butter-pecan-sweet-potatoes accessed 9/25/15
Quick Chicken Chili Makes: 4 servings
Ingredients • non-stick cooking spray • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins • 1 lb. ground white meat chicken or turkey • 1 medium onion • 1 medium bell pepper (any color) • 3 clove garlic • 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic • 2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth • 1 16- oz. canned, fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth • 2 15.5- oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium beans (mix or match pinto, red, kidney or navy) • 1/2 tsp. pepper • 1 tsp. cumin • 1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional) • 1 medium chopped jalapeño (optional if you like spicy chili) • fresh cilantro (optional) • 1/2 cup low-fat, (or), fat-free sour cream (optional) Directions: 1. Remove visible fat from chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces. 2. Spray large pot with cooking spray. Add chicken, onion, garlic, chili powder (optional) or jalapeno (optional) cooking over medium-heat until chicken is no longer pink (about 7 minutes) 3. Lightly mash the drained, rinsed beans with a fork. 4. Add all remaining ingredients to chicken mixture and simmer on high for 10 minutes. 5. Spoon chili into bowls and top with chopped fresh cilantro and/or dollop of sour cream (optional)
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 344 Total Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 174mg Fiber: 10g Protein: 39g Carbohydrate: 41g
Old Fashioned Apple Nut Crisp Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients • 5 medium-large crisp, tart apples, such as McIntosh, Empire, Granny Smith or Cortland, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups) • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, or Splenda Granular • 1 tablespoon lemon juice • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided • 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, (not instant) • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces • 2 tablespoons canola oil • 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square (or 2-quart) deep baking dish with cooking spray. 2. Combine apples with granulated sugar (or Splenda), lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, combine whole-wheat flour, oats, brown sugar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix to blend. Using your fingers (or a fork or pastry blender), cut in butter until evenly distributed and there are no chunks. Stir in oil, apple juice concentrate and nuts; toss well until evenly moistened and clumpy. 4. Remove the foil from the baking dish and scatter the topping evenly over the apples. Bake uncovered until the topping has browned and the fruit is soft and bubbling, about 30 minutes more. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts Total calories: 274 Total fat: 10g Saturated fat: 3g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 1mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 3g Carbohydrates: 47g
Source: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/old_fashioned_apple_nut_crisp.html accessed 9/25/15
Classic Macaroni and Cheese Yield: 8 servings, ½ cup serving
Ingredients • 2 cups macaroni • ½ cup onions, chopped • ½ cup evaporated milk, fat-free • 1 medium egg, beaten • ¼ tsp black pepper • 1 ¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz), finely shredded, low-fat • Non-stick cooking spray Directions 1. Cook macaroni according to directions. (Do not add salt to the cooking water.) Drain and set aside. 2. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking oil spray. Preheat oven to 350° F. 3. Lightly spray saucepan with non-stick cooking oil spray. 4. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes. 5. In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. 6. Transfer mixture into casserole dish. 7. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 200 Total fat: 4g Saturated fat: 2g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 120mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 11g Carbohydrate: 29g
Source: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/html/entrees2.html#14 accessed 8/24/15
Turkey Meatloaf Makes: 5 Servings, 1 slice
Ingredients • 1lb lean ground turkey • ½ cup regular oats, dry • 1 large egg • 1 Tbsp onion, dehydrated • ¼ cup ketchup Directions: 1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. 2. Bake in loaf pan at 350º F or to internal temperature of 165º F for 25 minutes. 3. Cut into 5 slices and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories: 191 Total Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 2g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 205mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 22g Carbohydrate: 9g
Source: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/html/entrees2.html#5 accessed 8/24/15
Mousse à la Banana Yield: 4 Servings, ½ cup serving
Ingredients • 2 Tbsp milk, low-fat (1%) • 4 tsp sugar • 1 tsp vanilla • 1 medium banana, cut into quarters • 1 cup plain yogurt, low-fat • 8¼-inch banana slices
Directions 1. Place milk, sugar, vanilla, and banana in blender. Process 15 seconds at high speed until smooth. 2. Pour mixture into a small bowl; fold in yogurt. Chill. Spoon into four dessert dishes; garnish each with two banana slices just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Total calories: 94 Total fat: 1g Saturated fat: 1g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 47mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g Carbohydrates: 18g
Source: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/healthieryou/html/desserts.html#1 accessed 8/24/15
Sweet Potato Nachos Serves 6
Ingredients • 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), makes about 6 cups of rounds • 1 Tbsp. olive oil • 1 tsp. chili powder • 1 tsp. garlic powder • 1 1/2 tsp. paprika • 1/3 cup black beans • 1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese • 1/3 cup chopped tomato (1 plum tomato) • 1/3 cup no-salt-added, canned, diced tomatoes • 1/3 cup chopped avocado
Preparation 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover the baking pans with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray. 2. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes thinly (about quarter-inch rounds). In a bowl, toss the rounds with olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder and paprika. Spread evenly on prepared pan (might need two pans). Bake for 10 minutes and use a spatula to flip the sweet potato rounds. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until crisp. 3. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle beans and cheese over the sweet potatoes. Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and avocado. Serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 209 Total Fat 5.5g Sodium 194mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 6g Sugar 7g Protein 6g
Southwest Veggie Burgers Serves 4
Ingredients • 1 cup cooked brown rice • 1 cup cooked no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained • 1/4 cup diced tomato • 1/4 cup diced roasted red bell peppers • 1/4 cup shredded carrot • 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro • 1 tablespoon no-salt-added chili powder • 1 teaspoon ground cumin • 3 green onions, finely chopped • 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast • 2 cloves garlic, minced • 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
Directions 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. 2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix. 4. Form the mixture into 4 patties. 5. Place patties on the baking sheet and bake, flipping once half way through cooking, until browned and slightly crisp on the outside, about 30 minutes.
• To freeze the burgers, bake and cool them, then wrap in foil or freezer-safe wrap; unwrap the burgers and reheat them in the microwave, or place them on a parchment-lined pan and bake in a 300°F oven until hot, about 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: 1 burger Calories 190 Total Fat 1.5g Saturated Fat 0g Sodium 120mg Carbohydrate 37g Dietary Fiber 10g Sugar 6g Protein 10g
Source: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/southwest-veggie-burgers assessed on 7/22/15
Banana Split Berry Yogurt Parfaits Serves 4 Ingredients • 2 6 - oz. packaged, fat-free pineapple yogurt • 1 cup sliced strawberries • 1 cup mixed berries • 1 large banana (about 1 cup sliced) • 1/4 cup low-fat granola (4 Tbsp) • 1 Tbsp. cocoa • 1 Tbsp. confectioner\'s sugar • 2 tsp. hot water Directions 1. To assemble parfaits, in small dish, layer about 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup sliced bananas and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granola. 2. In small cup, stir together cocoa, confectioners? sugar and hot water until smooth. Drizzle 1 teaspoon over each parfait.
Nutrition Facts Calories 157 Total Fat 0.9g Sodium 75mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 2g Sugars 25g Protein 6g
Cowboy Caviar Yield: Makes 10 to 12 appetizer or 6 salad servings
Ingredients • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar • 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce • 1 1/2 teaspoons salad oil • 1 clove garlic, minced • 1/8 teaspoon pepper • 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 10 oz.) • 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas • 1 can (11 oz.) corn kernels • 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions • 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro • 1/2 pound Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped • Salt • 1 bag (6 oz.) tortilla chips or 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
Preparation 1. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, and pepper. Peel, pit, and cut avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
2. Drain and rinse peas and corn. Add peas, corn, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes to avocado; mix gently to coat. Add salt to taste. Serve pea mixture with chips as an appetizer, or add cabbage and mix to make a salad.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 159 Calories from fat 42 % Protein 3.9 g Fat 7.3 g Saturated fat 1.3 g Carbohydrate 22 g Fiber 2 g Sodium 272 mg Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Source: http://www.hallmarkhealth.org/Nutrition-Services/Page-6.html accessed 6/22/15
15-Minute Enchiladas Makes: 8 Servings
Ingredients • nonstick cooking spray • 1 can chili without beans (about 24 ounces) • 1 1/2 cups canned refried beans, low-sodium, non-fat • 2 cups low-fat Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded • 8 whole wheat tortillas
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a medium-size saucepan, heat chili and refried beans until warm (do not boil).
4. Spoon about half of the chili mixture evenly onto the tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, and roll up. Place side by side on the cookie sheet with seam side down.
5. Top tortillas with remaining chili mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts: Total Calories 310 Total Fat 17 g Protein 17 g Carbohydrates 23 g Dietary Fiber4 g Saturated Fat 6 g Sodium 500 mg
Source: http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/food-distribution-fdd/15-minute-enchiladas accessed 6/22/15
Peach Crumble Yield: Serves 8
Ingredients • 8 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced • Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons) • 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar • 2 tablespoons trans-free margarine, cut into thin slices • 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats (uncooked) Directions 1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. 2. Arrange peach slices in the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. 3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and brown sugar. With your fingers, crumble the margarine into the flour-sugar mixture. Add the uncooked oats and stir to mix evenly. Sprinkle the flour mixture on top of the peaches. 4. Bake until peaches are soft and the topping is browned, about 30 minutes. Cut into 8 even slices and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Calories 152 Total Fat 4g Monosaturated fat 2g Saturated Fat 0.6g Protein 3g Cholesterol 0mg Total Carbohydrate 26g Sugars 4g Dietary Fiber 3g Sodium 41mg
Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/peach-crumble/rcp-20049692 accessed 6/22/15
Mediterranean Parsley Tabbouleh (serves 4, generous 1 cup each)
• 1 cup water
• ½ cup bulgur
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• ½ tsp minced garlic
• ¼ tsp salt
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2 cups finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (about 2 bunches)
• ¼ cup fresh chopped mint
• 2 tomatoes, diced
• 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
• ½ small red onion, finely diced
1) Combine water and bulgur in a small saucepan. Bring to a full boil, remove from heat, cover and let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, 25 minutes or according to package directions. If any water remains, drain bulgur in a fine mesh sieve. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
2) Add parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumber and red onion into the bulgur.
3) Combine lemon juice, oil, garlic salt and pepper in a small bowl, then combine with bulgur mixture and toss.
4) Serve at room temperature or chill for at least one hour to serve cold.
Source: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parsley_tabbouleh.html accessed 6/9/15
Calories: 165, Fat: 8g, saturated Fat: 1g, monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 0g, sodium: 175mg, Total Carbs: 22g, Fiber: 6g, Protein 4g
Nutrition bonus! This recipe contains 100% daily value vitamin C & 70% daily value of vitamin A
Mediterranean Smothered Chicken (Serves 4)
• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts)
• extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt, pepper (enough to brush/coat chicken, approx. 2 tbsp.)
• 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 large shallots, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• salt & pepper
• 1 cup marinated roasted tomatoes, chopped (or sun dried tomatoes)
• 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
• 2 Tablespoons capers
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 1/4 cup half & half (or heavy cream)
• juice from 1/2 lemon
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup chopped basil
1) Pound chicken to even thickness then brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil and season with garlic salt and pepper. Sauté in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the center. Remove to a plate then set aside.
2) Let skillet cool off the heat for a few minutes, then return to burner and reduce heat to medium. Add extra virgin olive oil and shallots then season with salt and pepper and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic then sauté for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly.
3) Add roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, and lemon zest then sauté until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, half & half, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and basil then reduce sauce slightly, about 2 minutes
4) Smother with tomato and artichoke mixture. Serve atop whole wheat angel hair, or spaghetti squash.
Source: http://iowagirleats.com/2013/03/05/mediterranean-smothered-chicken/ accessed 6/3/15
Calories: 275, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 28g, sodium: 634mg, Total Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 4 g, Protein 10g (Pasta not included in nutrition facts)
Almond Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding (serves 6)
• 2 cups almond milk
• 1 package (16oz) fresh strawberries, hulled
• ¼ cup honey
• ½ cup chia seeds
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Blend almond milk and strawberries in a blender until smooth & pour into large bowl.
2) . Combine chia seeds, honey and vanilla extract in bowl with strawberry/almond milk blend, mix well.
3) Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least four hours until set.
Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/almond-strawberry-chia-seed-pudding/ accessed 6/9/15
Calories: 159, Fat: 5g, saturated Fat: 0g, monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0g, sodium: 61mg, Total Carbs: 25g, Fiber: 9g, Protein 5g
Chipotle Chicken & Queso Fresco Tacos Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients 1 ½ cups chipotle chicken breast (recipe below) 1 ½ cups salsa cruda (recipe below) 12 each 6inch flour tortillas ¾ cup mashed avocado ½ cups shredded romaine lettuce ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
1) Lay each tortilla on a flat surface. Spread 2 tbsp mashed avocado over each tortilla. 2) On bottom half of each tortilla, place 1/8 cup diced chicken, 2 tablespoons shredded lettuce, 1/8 cup salsa cruda and 1 tsp queso fresco cheese. 3) Fold tortilla over to close. Serve 2 tacos per portion.
Chipotle Chicken Breast
Ingredients 1 tbsp + 1 tsp minced chipotle peppers with Adobo 1 tsp minced garlic 2 tbsp lime juice ½ tsp ground cumin ½ tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper 15 ½ oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
1) In a bowl, combine minced chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt & pepper for marinade. Pour marinade over chicken in a shallow dish. Keep refrigerated for 4 hours. Drain and discard excess marinade.
2) Preheat grill or char broiler, cook chicken for 1-2 on each side until well-marked.
3) Transfer chicken to sheet tray. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 5 minutes or until completely cooked (internal temperature of 165 degrees).
4) Slice chicken into ¼ inch thick slices.
Ingredients ¾ cup diced tomatoes 2 tbsp red onions 2 tbsp minced jalapeno peppers, seeded 1 ½ tsp lime juice Dash of black peppers 2 tbsp frozen corn, thawed
1) Seed jalapeno peppers (wash hands thoroughly after handling) 2) In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well. Keep refrigerated for use.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 190, Fat: 5g, Saturated fat: 2g, Sodium: 330mg, Carbs: 21g, Protein: 16g, Fiber: 5g Recipe courtesy Mindful by Sodexo, date accessed 4/21/2015.
Edamame Nut Salad Yields: 2 servings
Ingredients 2 tbsp creamy poppy seed dressing (recipe below) 1 cup fresh baby spinach 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped 2 tbsp roasted sliced almonds ½ medium granny smith apple, diced (soak in lemon juice & water to prevent browning) ½ cup shredded carrots 2 tbsp dried cranberries ¼ cup thawed edamame soy beans 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
Creamy Poppy seed dressing
2 tsp fresh orange juice 2 tsp light mayonnaise 2 tsp light sour cream ½ tsp honey 1/8 tsp poppy seeds ¼ tsp grated orange rind Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready for use.
1) Combine spinach & romaine lettuce in a mixing bowl. 2) Toss greens with half the carrots, apples, & almonds. Add dressing and toss. 3) Place equal portions onto two plates. Garnish with dried cranberries, edamame and sunflower seeds. Serve immediately. Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 200, Fat: 11g, Saturated fat: 1.5g, Protein: 6g, Carbs: 23g, Fiber: 6g, Sodium: 90mg, Recipe courtesy Mindful by Sodexo, date accessed 4/21/2015.
Morel Mushroom and Asparagus Sauté
Asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin K and folate. It aids in digestion and blood sugar regulation.
Yield: 4 servings
3 quarts water
12 ounces white asparagus, trimmed
12 ounces green asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, thinly sliced
4 cups fresh morel mushrooms, halved lengthwise (about 8 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Gather all ingredients and equipment.
2. Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Peel bottom 2 inches of white and green asparagus. Cook white asparagus in boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove with a slotted spoon to a colander. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Cook green asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove with a slotted spoon to a colander. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Cut asparagus diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add shallot; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add morels and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned. Add asparagus, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, oil, and pepper; toss gently to coat. Cook 2 minutes or until asparagus is thoroughly heated.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 115, Fat: 6.6g, Saturated fat: 1.4g, Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g, Protein: 6g, Carbohydrate: 11.5g, Fiber: 4.3g, Cholesterol: 8mg, Iron: 3mg, Sodium: 267mg, Calcium: 28mg.
Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2013, date accessed 8/26/2014.
Risotto with Snow Peas and Shrimp
Shrimp is an excellent source of selenium and vitamin B-12. Selenium supports healthy thyroid functioning, and vitamin B-12 supports cognitive function.
Yield: 6 servings
2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
3 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil $
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
1/3 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined $
1 cup (1/2-inch) diagonally sliced snow peas
1 cup shelled green peas (about 3/4 pound unshelled green peas)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese $
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind $
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Gather all ingredients and equipment.
2. Bring clam juice and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add shallots, and cook 1 minute. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup juice mixture; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining juice mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of juice mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in shrimp, snow peas, and green peas; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
Note: Substitute frozen green peas for fresh, if desired.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 302, Calories from fat: 14%, Fat: 4.6g, Saturated fat: 1.3g, Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g , Protein: 16.1g, Carbohydrate: 47.3g, Fiber: 2.3g, Cholesterol: 68mg, Iron: 4.2mg, Sodium: 306mg, Calcium: 111mg.
Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2000, date accessed 8/26/2014
Leek, Lettuce, and Fava Soup
Leeks belong the allium group such as onions and garlic. Produce that fall under the allium category have been known the protect blood vessels and maintain cardiovascular health. This green soup is a perfect way to kick off the spring.
Yield: 6 servings
1 large head romaine lettuce (about 1 lb.)
3 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts only), rinsed well
1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus
3 tbsp. small dill leaves
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups double-shelled fava beans, divided
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1. Gather all ingredients and equipment.
2. Cut ribs from lettuce and finely chop ribs and leaves separately. Set leaves aside.
3. In a large pot, cook lettuce ribs, leeks, celery, chopped dill, lemon zest, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper with butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add lettuce leaves, reduce heat, and simmer just until lettuce is tender, 1 minute. Set aside 1 cup of mixture.
5. Whirl soup in batches in a blender until very smooth, pouring into a bowl as blended. Return soup to pot and stir in reserved unblended soup and 1 1/2 cups fava beans. Heat, stirring, over medium heat until steaming.
6. Ladle soup into bowls. Dollop a generous spoonful of crème fraîche into each. Garnish with remaining fava beans and dill leaves and sprinkle with pepper. Add more salt and crème fraîche if you like.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 368, Calories from fat: 35%, Protein: 23g, Fat: 14,g Saturated fat: 7.8g, Carbohydrate: 49g, Fiber: 2.6g, Sodium: 319mg, Cholesterol: 44mg.
Recipe courtesy Sunset 2014, date accessed 8/26/2014.
Pan-Roasted Artichokes with Lemon and Garlic
Artichokes significantly aid in digestion. They are high in fiber, increase bile flow, and improve gallbladder function. This is a light and easy recipe that provides the perfection transitioning meal into the spring. Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 18 baby artichokes (about 1 3/4 pounds) 3 tablespoons olive oil 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 4 large garlic cloves, halved 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced 1 (6-inch) rosemary sprig 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice Preparation 1. Gather all ingredients and equipment. 2. Preheat oven to 425°. 3. Combine water and 3 tablespoons juice in a bowl. Cut off top 1/2 inch of artichokes. Cut stems to within 1 inch of bases; peel stems. Remove tough outer leaves, leaving tender cores. Halve each lengthwise; add to water. 4. Drain artichokes; pat dry. Combine artichokes, oil, salt, pepper, and garlic in a bowl; toss to coat. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add half of artichoke mixture to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining artichoke mixture. Return artichokes to pan; add lemon slices and rosemary. 5. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes, stirring once. Remove rosemary leaves, and sprinkle over artichoke mixture; discard stem and any blackened lemon. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 128, Fat: 7g, Saturated fat: 1g, Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g, Polyunsaturated, fat: 0.8g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrate: 16g, Fiber: 8g, Cholesterol: 0.0mg, Iron: 2mg, Sodium: 223mg, Calcium: 66mg. Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2014, date accessed 8/26/2014
Curried Collard Greens
Collard greens have anti-inflammatory benefits and aids in the detoxification of the body. They are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, and vitamin C. Yield: 4 servings Ingredients 1 teaspoon unsalted butter 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/2 medium onion, chopped 1 bunch collard greens (about 12 large leaves), stemmed and chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon curry powder 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth 1/2 cup white wine Preparation 1. Gather all ingredients and equipment. 2. Melt butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens have wilted, about 5 minutes. 3. Stir in garlic, curry, ginger, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 20 minutes. Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 80, Fat: 5g, Saturated fat: 1g. Cholesterol: 3mg, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 2g, Carbohydrate: 6g, Sodium: 330mg. Recipe courtesy allyou, date accessed 8/26/2014.
Arugula Salad with Chicken and Apricots
Apricots are full of antioxidants, and they can help maintain healthy eyesight and protect against inflammation. The apricots in this dish add a hint of sweetness to an otherwise light and herbaceous salad. Yield: 4 servings Ingredients 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3 tablespoons olive oil 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar Dash of freshly ground black pepper 4 cups baby arugula 4 cups gourmet salad greens 3 apricots (about 8 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion Preparation 1. Gather all ingredients and equipment. 2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat. 3. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken with parsley, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 4. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a plate; cool to room temperature. 5. Combine oil, vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. 6. Combine arugula, greens, apricots, and onion in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over arugula mixture; toss well to coat. Place about 2 cups arugula mixture on each of 4 plates. Cut chicken breast halves crosswise into thin slices; top each serving evenly with chicken. Serve immediately.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 243, Fat: 12.9g, Saturated fat: 2.1g, Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g, Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g, Protein: 22.2g, Carbohydrate: 10.1g, Fiber: 2.9g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Iron: 2.1mg, Sodium: 364mg, Calcium: 86mg. Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2009, date accessed 8/26/2014
January this the perfect month to get out a crock pot and make some warm and hearty meals.
Slow-Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup Yields: 12 servings Serving size: 1 ¼ cup
2 cups chopped onions 2 cups chopped carrots 4 cloves garlic, minced 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon ground turmeric ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground pepper 6 cups vegetables broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth 2 cups water 3 cups chopped cauliflower 1 ¾ cups lentils 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons tomato paste 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1) Combine onions, carrots, garlic, oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until well combined. 2) Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low. 3) During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Nutrient analysis: 152 calories, 1 g fat, 0g Sat. fat, 1g Mono-unsat fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 9g protein
Recipe courtesy: Eating Well, www.eatingwell.com, accessed 12/23/2014.
Classic Minestrone Soup Yield: 10 servings
2 cans (14.5-oz each) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth 1 can (15-oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 1 can (15.5-oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained ¾ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning 1 package (12-oz) rotini pasta 2 cans (14.50oz each) diced tomatoes 6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced 1 package (10-oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1) Place broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, scallions, and Italian seasoning on 4-quate or lasrger slow cooker. Stir to combine. 2) Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours. 3) Prepares pasta according to package directions. Add pasta and spinach to cooker and stir to combine. 4) Cover. Cook 15-20 more minutes or until heated through. Nutrient analysis: 257 calories, 1.4 g fat .3 g saturated fat, 369 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrates, 8.3 g fiber, 12.3 g protein Recipe courtesy: Prevention.com, www.myrecipes.com, accessed 12/23/14.
Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
Yields: 10 servings
4 slices bacon (omit to decrease Saturated fat and Sodium content further) 1 large onion, thinly sliced 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon fennel seeds 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 1 bay leaf 1 cup dry white wine (see tip) 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon salt 10 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 ¾ pounds), skin removed, trimmed ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1) Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble when cool. (Omit to reduce fat and sodium content). 2) Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 3-6 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, pepper and bay leaf and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add wine, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add tomatoes and their juice and salt; stir well. 3) Place chicken thighs in a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Sprinkle the bacon over the chicken. Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low. Remove the bay leaf. Serve sprinkled with parsley. 4) Variation: Turn 2 cups each of leftover chicken and sauce into Braised Chicken Gumbo. Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 diced medium red or green bell pepper and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups shredded chicken, 2 cups sauce, 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 cup sliced okra (fresh or frozen, thawed), ¾ cup instant brown rice (see tip) and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Tip: If you want to use rice that is not “instant”, stir in 1 cup of any leftover cooked rice instead. Or, if you have time, add ½ cup of quicker-cooking whole grain rice, such as Bhutanese red rice or Kalijira rice, and an additional 1 ¼ cups chicken broth before adding the okra. Cook until the rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes (or according to package instructions) then add the okra and simmer until it is tender.
Tip: If you prefer, substitute 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice for the wine.
Nutrient analysis: 260 calories, 13 g fat, 4g sat. fat, 5g mono-unsat. Fat, 492 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 25 g protein, 1g fiber, 392g potassium
Recipe courtesy: Eating Well, www.eatingwell.com, accessed 12/23/14.
Raw Kale, Grapefruit, and Toasted Hazelnut Salad
Kale has a multitude of health benefits, and it an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, copper, and manganese. Kale can help lower cholesterol and aid in bodily detoxification. Yield: 4 Servings Ingredients 2 pink grapefruit 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, divided 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 8 ounces lacinato kale, very thinly sliced, or baby kale leaves 1 ounce toasted hazelnuts, chopped (1/3 cup)
Preparation 1. Peel and segment grapefruit; reserve 3 TBSP juice in a large bowl. Mince 2 rings onion. Add to grapefruit juice, with lemon juice, yogurt, oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well mixed. 2. Toss in the kale. Top with remaining onion, grapefruit, and hazelnuts.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 184, Fat: 11.6g, Saturated fat: 1.4g, Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g, Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fiber: 3, Cholesterol: 1mg, Iron: 1mg, Sodium: 179mg, Calcium: 138mg. Recipe courtesy Health 2013, date accessed 8/19/2014
Spicy Crab-Papaya Salad
This light, tropical salad can add some brightness to dark winter nights. The papaya contains plenty of antioxidants and aids in overall skin health.
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients 1 1/2 cups diced peeled papaya 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions 1/4 cup finely chopped celery 1 finely chopped jalapeño pepper 1 pound lump crabmeat (shell pieces removed) 3 tablespoons canola oil 2 tablespoons cider vinegar 2 teaspoons sugar 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine papaya, green onions, celery, jalapeño pepper, and crabmeat. 2. Combine canola oil, cider vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, freshly ground black pepper, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle vinegar mixture over crab mixture; toss. Chill.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 246, Fat: 12.6g, Saturated fat: 1.1g, Monounsaturated fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g, Protein: 23.3g, Carbohydrate: 8.7g, Fiber: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 113mg, Iron: 1.3mg, Sodium: 430mg, Calcium: 141mg.
Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2011, date accessed 8/19/2014
Cheese and Pear Stuffed Pork
December is the season for hearty holiday dinners. Seasonal pears lend a very good source of dietary fiber to this dish. Diets that are rich in fiber help protect against the development of type 2 diabetes.
Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 4 shallots, thinly sliced 1 cup chopped firm Anjou pear 1/2 cup riesling or other white wine 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme Dash of ground red pepper 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 2 (12-ounce) pork tenderloins 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
Preparation 1. Preheat oven to 425°. 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 6 minutes. Add pear, wine, thyme, and pepper; cook 2 minutes. Cool. Stir in nuts, cheese, crumbs, and parsley. 3. Slice pork lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves. Place pork between sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/4 inch. Top pork with pears; leave 1/2-inch border. Roll, starting with long side; secure pork with picks. Sprinkle with salt. 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Add pork; sauté 5 minutes, browning all sides. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until a thermometer registers 145°. Remove pork from pan, and let stand 5 minutes. Slice. Bring broth to a boil in pan over medium-high heat; scrape pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 4 minutes.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories: 321, Fat: 16.1g, Saturated fat: 3.8g, Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g, Polyunsaturated fat: 5.6g, Protein: 28.7g, Carbohydrate: 13g, Fiber: 1.8g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Iron: 2mg, Sodium: 478mg, Calcium: 72mg. Recipe courtesy Cooking Light 2011, date accessed 8/19/2014
- << Prev